maanantai 14. syyskuuta 2009

Difficult decisions

My daughter wants a pair of leg warmers. Easy peasy at the first thought: a plain and straight tube, any yarn goes, no need to worry about the exact gauge etc. But, the big BUT: everything seems to be difficult:

  1. The lack of detailed instructions: the only hints that I've got so far suggest that the leg warmers should be made of one colour, crumpled and not very thick. Before that I already tried a pattern of four different colours, a far too thick.

  2. The decision about the pattern: I've rambled through Ravelry to find the perfect pattern but found not so many. Okay, maybe leg warmers belong to 80's, and nobody is knitting them anymore, but hey guys, The Fame is coming back!

  3. The chronic need for modifications: Finally, I found the "almost perfect" pattern, Mosey, flared and simple. But, as usual, I made up my mind to use a totally different kind of yarn than the pattern is written for, superbulky Novita Mambo. I've wanted to try this yarn for some time, but never found a right pattern for it. Now, it forces me to modify the pattern heavily and ends up in maybe too heavy structure.

And what comes out of this: a constant contradiction between the original idea of a nice pair of simple leg warmers and the actual knitwork. Almost every decision I've made so far has taken me to a wrong direction. I'm almost sure that my daughter won't use the pair, but still, I'm obsessed to finish it. The knitting itself is not difficult - every decision about it is!


Minua ovat ilahduttaneet tänään:

  • mukava tiimipalaveri
  • opiskelijaystävällinen professorisihminen, uhanalainen lajissaan
  • upean aurinkoinen ja lämmin syyspäivä

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti